As a child, I grew up making sugar cookies with my mom and sister each Christmas. We loved decorating them with powdered sugar frosting and covering them with sprinkles! I really never knew there was any other Christmas cookie until now… This is the first year that I have ever made gingerbread cookies, and they did not disappoint! The smell of cinnamon, ginger, and cloves filled my sister’s house as we anxiously waited for these homemade gingerbread cookies to bake. If Christmas has a smell, it is these cookies baking in the warm oven. I’m looking forward to making these with Lydia for years to come. If you’ve never tried gingerbread cookies, give these a try because they taste amazing.
Homemade Gingerbread Cookies
- 5 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/4 cup Brown Sugar | Firmly Packed
- 2 tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/3 tsp Baking Soda
- 20 tbsp Salted Butter | Cold & Cut Into Pieces
- 1 1/4 cup Unsulphured Molasses
- 3 tbsp Whole Milk
- In a stand-mixer with a paddle attatchemnt, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt, and baking soda at low speed.
- Add butter and mix at medium-low speed for about 2 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and slowly add molasses and mild until dough is evenly moistened and then increase speed to medium and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Divide dough into thirds.
- Roll one portion of dough between two large sheets of parchment paper. The dough should be 1/8" to 1/4" thick. Leave the dough sandwiched between the parchment. Repeat this process wit hthe remaining dough.
- Stack the parchment layers on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer for at least 45 minutes. Keep the dough in the freezer until your oven is heated to 325°.*Dough can be left in the freezer up to 30 days from the day you made it.
- Remove one layer of parchment paper and use cookie cutters to make desired shapes. Carefully transfer cookies to a lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 325° for 15-20 minutes. *Do not overbake, the cookies will be too hard to eat but perfect for making a gingerbread house!